Sesame Workshop has been trusted by parents for decades to provide safe, entertaining and educational content. We take this trust seriously and recognize the importance of privacy concerns especially in the digital environment.
1. You are free to choose whether or not to engage in any activity on our Platforms that involves your submission of personal information, such as your name, email address, phone number or other information that can be used to identify or contact an individual, whether online or offline. We will ask you for such information expressly. Most of the activities on our Platforms do not require you to submit any personal information.
2. When we ask you to submit personal information, we will explain in the sign-up or collection process how we will use the information (such as requesting an email address when you sign up for a newsletter). We will use the information only as we have stated, other than in Special Circumstances which are described below (such as in relation to law enforcement or a business transfer).
3. We use the anonymous information that is automatically collected from your device, such as a computer's Internet Protocol address, a mobile device identifier, operating system, or general location such as zip code, to support internal operations so that we can understand and monitor the usage of our Platforms and improve the performance of the Platforms.
4. There is no behavioral advertising on our Platforms which means that you will not see any advertising that is targeted to you based on your combined activity on our Platforms and your activity on other sites and apps.
ESPECIALLY FOR CHILDREN UNDER 13
6. Our collection of personal information on Platforms that are directed to children under 13 ("Children's Platforms") is intended to follow the principles of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA"), a U.S. law designed to protect the online privacy of children under the age of 13.
7. We will obtain parental consent before asking for personal information on our Children's Platforms, unless the request for information falls within an exception that would be permitted under COPPA.
8. We do not make personal information collected from children publicly available nor do we enable children to so on our Platforms. We will not condition a child's participation in any activity or service on the disclosure of more personal information than is reasonably necessary to participate in an activity.
9. Parents may contact us (at firstname.lastname@example.org) to review, update or delete any of their children's personal information that we may have collected and to elect for us not to collect any additional personal information from their children.
INFORMATION WE REQUEST ON OUR CHILDREN'S PLATFORMS
We will obtain parental consent before asking for personal information on our Children's Platforms, unless the request for information falls within an exception that would be permitted under COPPA. We will explain how we will use the information and use it only for that purpose. Here are examples of personal information that we request on our Children's Platforms:
• Share With a Friend. Visitors can provide their first name, a friend's first name and friend's email address to send a feature of a Children's Platform to the friend via email. We use such information only to fulfill the visitor's request and do not store that information for any longer than reasonably necessary to send the relevant email.
• Email Newsletters. When visitors on our Children's Platforms wish to sign up to receive our email newsletters, we will ask for a parent's first name and email address. We will send a notification email to the parent and give the parent the option to decline the newsletter. If the newsletter is declined, we will not send the newsletter and will delete from our files any related personal information collected in the sign-up process. If the newsletter is not declined, we will send the newsletter. All newsletters contain instructions so that the recipient may unsubscribe at any time.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
We use the anonymous information that is automatically collected to support the internal operations of the Platforms. Some of this information is collected through third-party analytics tools. Internal operations include the following:
• to monitor metrics such as total number of visitors and traffic;
• to understand which activities and services are most popular;
• to understand the pages where visitors enter our Sites and the pages viewed;
• to reduce the repetition in the promotional messages that users see on our Platforms;
• to understand generally the location of our users (e.g., zip code information);
• to recognize the browsers used to visit our Sites, so that the content is adapted for the relevant browser; and
• to diagnose and fix technology problems.
Law Enforcement and Safety. We may access, preserve and share your information when we have a good faith belief that it is necessary to: (i) respond to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) or otherwise to take action because we believe it is required or advisable under the law; (ii) detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; (iii) respond to your requests for customer service; or (iv) limit our legal liability or to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of ourselves, any user of our Platforms, a third party or the general public including as part of investigations.
Security Notice. In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your personal information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent you have given us your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We strive to maintain the security of information but cannot guarantee that information security measures are fail-safe or guarantee that information on a Platform may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed. Our Platforms maintain technical and organizational steps to keep information collected secure, including limiting the number of people who have physical access to our database servers and use of electronic security systems and password protections to guard against unauthorized access.
OTHER WEB SITES AND SERVICES
Our Platforms may link to other websites or apps, including content offered by third parties that we do not control and whose privacy and data collection practices may differ from ours ("Third Party Platforms"). We are not responsible for the practices employed by any websites or services linked to or from our Platforms, including the information or content contained within them.
Involvement in your family's online lives is one of the most important safety tools available. In addition, we encourage you to educate yourself and your child on privacy concerns. We recommend, as a starting point, the following guide published by the federal government, http://www.onguardonline.gov/articles/0031-kids-privacy.
SESAME WORKSHOP INFORMATION
The Platforms are operated by Sesame Workshop, located at 1900 Broadway, New York, New York, 10023, USA, 212-595-3456, email@example.com. We use the following service providers: Google, Inc. and comScore, Inc. Please contact us if you have any questions about us or our service providers.
Effective date: July 1, 2013.