- 1 lb of extra lean ground beef or vegetarian crumble
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- Whole grain hamburger buns
- ¼ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Light sour cream or light ranch dressing (optional)
- Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Makes: 4 sandwiches
Oscar's Sloppy Mess
Does your child love a sloppy mess as much as Oscar? If so, this is one sloppy mess she won't mind cleaning up!
Things You'll Need
Gather together these ingredients to make Oscar's Sloppy Mess.
Brown ground beef or vegetarian crumble in a non-stick frying pan. Add the diced onion and bell pepper.
Make a Delicious Mess
Add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Little Hands Tip: Let your child help out by combining the ketchup and mustard in a bowl first. Ask her what color will result when the red and yellow ingredients are mixed together.
Add a Finishing Touch
Spoon your "slop" onto a hamburger bun. Then pile on the fixings!
Clean It Up
Enjoy eating this messy, finger-licking good meal together. When you're finished, clean up the table together. Ask your child to collect and throw out all the dirty napkins or stack the plates for washing.