- It's no secret that Cookie loves his sweets, but he's a monster of many hats. Whether he's rapping about vegetables or hosting a refined evening of "Monsterpiece Theatre," he charms both children and adults alike. Learn how to draw this furry, blue friend with how-to tips from a real Sesame Street artist.
- Construction paper or computer paper
- Markers, colored pencils, or crayons
To draw Cookie Monster, you will need:
Step 1: Get a "Head" Start
To start drawing Cookie Monster, hold your paper the long (landscape) way. In the center of the page, draw a sideways oval shape for his head. Draw two lines for his neck underneath the oval.
Step 2: Map It Out
For reference, use a pencil to lightly draw dotted lines inside the oval:
- Draw one horizontal dotted line halfway across the oval.
- Draw one vertical dotted line halfway through the oval.
- Draw two more vertical dotted lines (one on either side of the first vertical line), dividing the oval into 4 parts.
Step 3: Jeepers, Creepers…Draw Some Peepers
Starting at the top of the head, draw two circles for eyes. The circles will fall between the middle two sets of dotted lines. The eyes will just touch, but not overlap.
Did You Know?: Cookie Monster's head is about 4 "eyeballs" wide.
Step 4: Great Googly Moogly!
Draw two circles for Cookie's pupils. Make one pupil lower than the other to give him his signature "googly" eyes!
Step 5: Make a Mouth (All the Better to Eat Cookies With!)
Starting at the horizontal dotted line, draw a wiggly line for the top of Cookie's mouth. Draw a wide, U-shaped line for the bottom of his smile, and fill in his mouth. (Note: There should be some space between Cookie's upper lip and the top of his head, about one "eyeball" wide.)
Step 6: Furry Fun
Give Cookie wisps of fur around the edges of his head and neck.
Did You Know?: On the show, Cookie Monster will often gobble rice cakes painted to look like cookies. Real chocolate and oils can damage the puppet's fur.
Step 7: Finish Your Monster-piece
Now you can erase the dotted pencil lines. Color Cookie with your crayons, markers, or colored pencils. You could even give him a background or some snacks!